DEVICE FOR PATIENTS

DEVICE FOR PATIENTS


Desigined a device to help patients in rehabilitation post brain disorders like stroke, haemmorhage etc in regaining their motor and cognitive functions and coping with their daily life.


PROJECT BRIEF

PROJECT BRIEF


The brief for the course was to explore scope for design interventions in the medical domain. We started by dissecting the human body into the various organ systems. After narrowing down to a particular system, brainstorming followed. My area of concern was the nervous system.


MAJOR PROBLEMS

MAJOR PROBLEMS


Concentrating on the related ailments like stroke, haemmorhage etc, i found out the issues relating to the rehabilitation process. My redefined brief became helping the people during these rehabilitation stages


USER STUDY

USER STUDY


I conducted some interviews of patients, physiotherapists and related doctors to get to know the various perspectives of the people associated with it. The major problems and needs as well as desired interventions were identified at this stage.


REDESIGN BRIEF

REDESIGN BRIEF


The prospective solution appeared to be a device which is modular and customizable / programmable, by the therapist based on regular assessment of the patient. It should also incorporate some scope for leisure and entertainment.


INTERFACE IDEATIONS

INTERFACE IDEATIONS


I then proceeded with ideation process for the physical interface of the product. I explored both one handed and two handed concepts, as motor disabilities during rehabilitation lead to lack of calibration between the hands.


FINAL FORM

FINAL FORM


The final form. It has the advantages of being one handed, having large and spacious keypad, a large 3.5" screen to ease the strain on eyes and similarity to mobile phones to minimise the learning curve.


KEYPAD ITERATIONS

KEYPAD ITERATIONS


Various concepts for the keypad arrangement in the final form


SIMULATION

SIMULATION


Finally, I created a model on 1:1 scale in Acrylic. This enabled me to get more feedback about ease of usage and ergonomics.


FORM STUDIES

FORM STUDIES


The objective of the course was to create a new form extracted from a natural form. My source of inspiration from nature were the Stork birds. I had come across these fascinating birds during my childhood. I especially found the various poses they had and their way of walking and standing very unique.


DERIVING THE FORM

DERIVING THE FORM


I started my exploration by breaking down their legs in a variety of ways. I toyed with the proportions of the various parts, the length and weight etc. The final form I derived was a very sleek one.


INTERMEDIATE STAGE

INTERMEDIATE STAGE


I created the model by hand in PU (Polyurethane) foam. The reason was the better surface finish as compared to Thermocol and better workability compared to plaster of paris or wood.


FINAL MODEL

FINAL MODEL


Later I spray-painted the surface with automotive paint to provide a good finish (matte, in this case).